I would like to thank you for choosing to commission me to make a portrait for you. I truly am honored. I hope that you have explored my website and have seen my social media pages so that you are very familiar with me and my work. I trust that you did and that is why you are here on this page.
The commission process is not complicated, but it is systematic. Here is how it works:
1. Send me an e-mail letting me know that you want to commission me to make a portrait for you.
2. Tell me your name, e-mail address, and snail mail address. You can also provide any other contact information that you wish to include.
3. Include, attached to the initial e-mail, three or more digital photos of the subject that you want done. If you do not have digital photos, you can have some photos scanned into the computer. I do vignettes of people, usually from around the shoulders and up. I do not make backgrounds. The photos need to be very clear and have some contrast to it. I cannot use a picture where I cannot see the person clearly. If you are having a photo scanned, please scan in a large file (approx. 40 mb) and a small file (approx. 15 mb) and make them .jpg files. I will adjust them, if necessary, and print them to make it easier for me to draw from them. When the commission process is completed, I will delete the photos from my computer and destroy the printed photos that I use. They are your private property and I will respect that. Of the various photos that you submit, I will choose the one that I will draw, based on how well it works with my style, so please make sure that you only send photos that you love and really would want made into a portrait. I will submit my choice to you for approval before I begin work.
4. I will submit my quote to you within three days of receiving your initial e-mail. The quote will include the supplies I will use, the date I will begin, the date I will ship, and shipping and handling costs. If you are okay with it, you must print a copy of the quote, sign it, and return it to me by snail mail. If you are not okay with it, email me, and we can discuss it. You must also pay half the cost up front, which is non-refundable, before I will begin work. There will be a special item in my online shop which you can click through, add to the shopping cart, go to checkout, and your payment will be processed by Stripe. I will not begin work until I receive the signed quote and the half payment.
5. When the work is completed, to your satisfaction (I will send two digital watermarked photos for your approval), you will come to my online shop, again, and make the other half of the payment. When I receive it, I will ship the portrait to you with tracking and insurance.
6. The photos that you submitted to me are your private property and I will not keep them. However, the artwork that I create will be under my copyright. You will own the original drawing, but I will have a digital scanned copy to use for my own purposes. I may sell prints, submit to shows, etc. I will, however, not use your name or the name of the subject, if you choose. You can specify that on the quote that you return to me.
7. Because I hold the copyright to the artwork, it can only be copied by me. If you would like a copy of it, you may buy it from me.
8. I do not mat or frame the portraits. I recommend that you have it professionally done.
9. I also would appreciate a snapshot of it when it is done and hanging in its place, with its new owner, if possible.
Thank you, again, for honoring me with your business.